Guiding You Through The Probate Process
After the death of a family member or someone else whose affairs you are responsible for, you likely need a lawyer’s help and advice for winding down the estate. Depending on the complexity of the person’s asset portfolio and other relevant factors, taking an estate through probate may take a few months or a year or longer. The first step is to consult with a knowledgeable and respected probate law attorney.
Patel & Dalrymple, PLLC, can reassure you as you face the daunting task of wrapping up your loved one’s financial matters, possibly including:
- Reviewing the will to ensure it is the most recent one and was legally formalized
- Getting an executor appointed if there is no will (if the person’s death was intestate)
- Identifying, evaluating and administering any trust(s) that may keep some or all of an estate out of probate
- Notifying creditors and beneficiaries or heirs of the death and the status of the legal processes
- Selling real estate and other property, wrapping up business affairs and otherwise moving assets to new ownership in accordance with estate law
When Complications Arise
Ideally, settling the estate should proceed smoothly as you and/or a probate lawyer assisting you follows the necessary steps in order. Sometimes, however, problems come up leading to disputes or delays. For example, a potential heir or beneficiary may bring a will contest. A business partner or creditor may sue the estate. A piece of real estate that needs to be sold may have title problems. Multiple beneficiaries or heirs may need to agree on actions like selling assets and getting such agreements in place can take time with detailed communications required. Patel & Dalrymple, PLLC is ready to help you avoid or resolve issues that might derail the process of settling the estate.
Our Estate Law Firm Is Available To Guide You
To put your mind at ease and get the estate on the way to probate as needed, consult with an experienced, compassionate lawyer. Our estate planning and probate law firm in Lynchburg, Virginia, welcomes your request for an initial consultation. Call 434-338-7080 or send us an email message to connect with us.