Steps To Take After A Virginia Car Accident
Car accidents usually happen because someone didn’t follow a safety rule. In Virginia, our civil justice system allows you to hold unsafe drivers accountable for the damage they cause.
At Patel & Dalrymple, our lawyers are here to protect your rights under the law and obtain the compensation you deserve. Call 434-338-7080 for a free initial consultation. Our law office is in Lynchburg and we represent car accident victims and their families throughout central Virginia.
Here are just a few examples of the types of auto accidents we handle:
- Drunk driver accidents
- Accidents caused by users who are distracted by cellphones or their car’s infotainment system
- Rear-end collisions
- Accidents caused by speeding or unsafe lane changes
- Intersection accidents caused by a driver’s failure to yield the right of way
- Trucking accidents caused by drowsy drivers
Protect Your Rights After An Accident
It’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after an accident to collect and preserve evidence of liability. Even if the other driver admits that he or she was at fault, they may change their story later — and their insurance company could refuse to pay.
To protect your rights after an accident:
- Report the accident to police.
- Obtain medical attention to make sure you are all right.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan until you get better.
- Do not provide a recorded statement to the other driver’s insurance company, as they will try to get you to say things that will damage your claim.
- Don’t accept a settlement without legal advice.